Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Bitter Pill

My alarm clock goes off every morning at 6:30 to the tune of WFAN, a local sports talk radio station. Normally, you get sports updates, sprinkled with Boomer & Carton’s crass attempts at garnering more ratings. This morning, however, as I’m struggling to get out of bed in preparation for another day at work, Carton delivers a bombshell. You are probably going to say that I’m blowing this way out of proportion, but I don’t care! As the blow was being dealt, hitting me harder than last years Mets collapse, I just couldn’t believe my ears: Len Berman of NBC Sports had been fired!


This is an absolute atrocity, this man is a sports reporting legend that has been in the business for over 25 years! A local TV sports news icon that I religiously tuned in to watch, in either hopeful expectation, or regretful despondence, contingent upon whether the Mets had won or lost that particular day. Mr. Berman was a pioneer for his trade creating his monthly highlight reel tabbed ‘Spanning The World’. Len Berman played an integral role in lighting my fire for sports during my adolescent years and now he is the victim of what NBC execs are calling ‘budgetary concerns’! What a bitter pill to swallow and how difficult it was for me to hear Mr. Berman on this mornings radio show saying things like, “I guess all good things must come to an end”. All good things must come to an end, this is indeed true, but they should come to an end in a noble way. Look, I’m not downplaying our recent economic downturn, and I understand the sour economy has also forced stations everywhere to retrench, but at a certain point you say, ENOUGH! At what point do you recognize that certain people’s contributions to society are so rich, that respect is warranted? I’m a sucker for nostalgia, and Mr. Berman for me represents a part of my past that I never want to forget and never will! The only negative thing I can say about Mr. Berman’s whole character is that he is an insufferable Yankees fan, but hey, nobody’s perfect! Once again, one of the nice guys gets hosed by a bunch of pimply-faced, back-stabbing, hedonistic, self-seeking, money-grubbing execs. No need to worry though Mr. Berman, because in our eyes, you are the true winner!

4 comments:

  1. Are you nostalgic about the Mets finishing second and out of the playoffs to the World Champion Phillies the last two years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey RCJ, this is Len Berman. Thanks so much for the kind words. They are most appreciated. And just so you know, even though I grew up a Yankee fan I went to Met games at the Polo Grounds and the first year of Shea. I rooted for the Mets to win the Subway Series. If you want to reach me you can do it through lenbermansports.com. Thanks again, and Let's Go Mets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Berman was all right but, truth be told, I haven't watched local news casts in at least 15 years so I can't say his "passing" is bothering me any. Never-the-less It is always sad to see a guy lose his job...except, of course, for the former President but that is another story. Actually, I am wondering more about just HOW NBC did the deed.

    Picture it, Berman sitting at his desk, or in his cube or, more likely, hanging in his office, feet propped up on his solid mahogany desk with ivory trim. The midday Sun starts to creep in through the sparkling clean window shining a narrow, but intensely bright ray of light through the pure alabaster Venetian blind slats and over the tattered papers he is leafing through illuminating the most recent scores from the professional sports leagues that they contain. Occasionally peaking at his computer screen, perusing web sites for additional information. Every so often a clerical worker, a secretary...maybe even Alec Baldwin...stops by to say hello, drop off an envelope or just to stand there and shrilly, maniacally giggle in hysterics for what reason? God only knows.

    In other words, was it just like every other Tuesday at 30 Rock?

    And then, say about 2:30 PM, approximately three or four hours to showtime, a voice crackles over the PA system:

    "Berman. Len Berman. Please report to the reception desk. Berman. Len Berman. Please report to the reception desk."

    The walk is taken, the news is given, the empty cardboard boxes are filled with the personal items and mementos of over 25 years of well paid service.

    Pretty awful.

    But about the Mets and the Phillies, I don't think the Queens Knights have anything to worry about. They are going to field a team that has four stars and an ace - Santana, Beltran, Wright, Reyes and - Wait for it! - Daniel Murphy. That's right. I said it. As Howie always says:

    PUT IT IN THE BOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Post. I'm happy to see someone who is not a mega paid athlete or a Hollywood superstar get recognized. Aside from the legendary Warner Wolf, Mr. Berman was truly a face of new york sports news.

    Now on the note of waking up to morning sports radio. This morning I woke up to what I believe is Mike and Mike (not even sure how my radio got to that station) and I think I heard them say the Mets should win the World Series this year. Now normally I would love to hear that my team is a lock to win any championship, but the last two years this has happened with the Mets we have suffered the worst collapses in baseball history. Unless I was dreaming, which is absolutely possible. I wish baseball analyst would just count us out already. I'd much rather be the lovable losers than the over paid choke artist. It makes for a much better movie. Rich you have to elaborate on this, I can't listen to Yankee fans anymore about the "choking Mets."

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete